The Emerging Bitcoin-Native Venture Capital Landscape
2022 Bitcoin-Native Startup Ecosystem
Today TVP announces a first-of-its-kind research brief on the emergence of Bitcoin-native startups as a growth category in venture capital. This research brief represents two years of data and subsequent analysis of the Bitcoin ecosystem, which during 2021 and 2022 has seen significant growth as a startup investment category. With the emergence of the Lightning Network and other tech enablements, Bitcoin is becoming a platform giving greater design space and lower platform risk to entrepreneurs who seek a long-term place to build on a truly decentralized foundation.
Near term there are a number of technical possibilities that will further accelerate the Bitcoin-native startup ecosystem. Instrumenting this growth, TVP will continue to publish this report on a regular basis, so we encourage you to join our audience and use this page as a resource. You may cite our research freely. We just ask that you include a citation to this page.
Highlights in this research brief include:
- Growth in Bitcoin startup transaction count between 2021 and 2022
- 2021 and 2022 Bitcoin company deal sizes and valuations by stage
- Deal count and dollars invested in Bitcoin companies versus broader crypto
- Growth of the Lightning Network
- Generalist VC syndication and participation in Bitcoin-native venture capital deals
- A few surprising data points
TVP Research Contributors
Contributors to this research brief are Christopher Calicott, Matthew Snow, and Zach Young.