Senior Infrastructure Engineer
About the Organization
At Unchained Capital, our mission is to put every bitcoin holder securely in control of their assets. Our collaborative custody vaults make it easy to set up and manage multisig bitcoin storage, while providing a foundation to financial services for the long-term bitcoin holder, including trading, loans, and retirement accounts. We guide our clients through their bitcoin journey, equipping them with the knowledge, reassurance, and tools they need to secure their financial futures in ways that a traditional financial services institution cannot.
Unless otherwise indicated, all open positions are remote-friendly.
We’re looking for someone to help us scale our cloud-based systems, further harden security, and increase development velocity.
Running infrastructure at Unchained is not your average sysadmin position:
- We are one of the world’s largest bitcoin financial services firms and, as a result, are constantly being attacked by bad actors. We require hardened, proactive security measures and we are meticulous about access controls and physical/logical separation of responsibilities. Security is not an afterthought or a cost-center for us, it’s baked into our product and our company culture.
- We meticulously screen and often avoid SaaS services to minimize our external surface area and ensure our clients’ data remains protected – even if this means increasing the number of systems we are directly responsible for maintaining.
- Our workloads are not dynamic but they are sophisticated. The complexity of our product and the high cost of bugs means we deploy thousands of copies of our application through the development and testing lifecycle of each release.
Unchained Engineering is filled with talented, hard-working, and passionate engineers. We want to see a strong sense of ownership, intrinsic drive, a desire to learn and grow, and, ultimately, output and results. We hold each other to a very high standard and expect that accountability to be mutual. Finally, we strive to embody aspects of the Bitcoin ethos – transparent, brutally honest, and based on proof of work. If that sounds like just the thing you’ve been missing in your career up to this point – we look forward to seeing you in the inbox.
Systems and Knowledge
- Experienced administrator of UNIX-like servers from the command line
- Experienced at customizing application behavior through configuration management tools (e.g. systemd/initd/&c.) and shell scripting
- Expert in orchestrating AWS environments with Terraform
- Experience securing networking environments across a variety of disciplines: WAF, malware protection and vulnerability scanning, DDoS protection, management of VPCs, DNS, certificates, and VPNs
- Experience supporting Kubernetes environments in AWS with high uptime, security, and redundancy
- Experienced with CI/CD systems such as Jenkins/CircleCI
- Familiarity with creating and modifying helm charts, helmfile, and other Kubernetes orchestration tooling
- Familiarity with providing administrative support for Celery, RabbitMQ, Redis, PostgreSQL, Nginx, uWSGI, HAProxy
Experience with Prometheus, AlertManager, Grafana, and PagerDuty
Personality and Drive
- You think of our infrastructure as your infrastructure
- Keep things tidy and well understood
- Optimizing reliability, visibility, and ease of use
- Strong communication and documentation skills
- Excellent judgment, analytical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated individual that possesses excellent time management and organizational skills
Having One or More of the Following is a Plus
- Strong understanding of micro-services and related architectures
- Managing multiple bitcoin and lightning network nodes
Please include a cover letter with your application that addresses:
- Why do you want to work at Unchained Capital? What about this job description appealed to you?
- What do you find exciting about bitcoin? What articles or writers have helped you on your bitcoin journey?