Senior Data Engineer
As one of the largest and most trusted digital asset platforms globally, we are empowering people to experience the life-changing potential of crypto. Trusted by over 8 million consumer and pro traders, institutions, and authorities worldwide – our unique combination of products, services, and global expertise is helping tip the scales towards mass crypto adoption. But we’re only just getting started. We want to be pioneers in crypto and add value to the everyday lives of billions. Now is not the time to sit on the sidelines. Join us to bring crypto to the world.
To ensure Kraken is the right fit for you, please ensure you read Kraken Culture Explained to find out more about us!
About the role
The Data Engineering team is responsible for designing and implementing scalable solutions that allow the company to make data-driven decisions quickly and accurately on petabytes of data. The team maintains the company’s data warehouse and data lake, and is responsible for creating various pipelines to move and process vast amounts of data, including both batch and streamed data, through different data products. In this role, you will work closely with the Finance team to build data products that support Finance transformation, enabling the company to be an industry pioneer.
- Build scalable and reliable data pipelines that collect, transform, load and curate data from both internal financial systems and blockchains
- Ensure high data quality for pipelines you build and make them auditable by Finance stakeholders
- Drive data systems to be as near real-time as possible
- Build data connections to company’s internal IT systems
- Develop, customize, and configure self service tools that enable Finance stakeholders to extract and analyze data from our massive internal data store
- Evaluate new technologies and build prototypes for continuous improvements in data engineering
- 5+ years of work experience in relevant field (Data Engineer, DW Engineer, Software Engineer, etc)
- Experience with data warehouse technologies and relevant data modeling best practices (Athena, Iceberg, Druid, etc.)
- Experience building data pipelines/ETL and familiarity with design principles (Apache Airflow is a big plus!)
- Excellent SQL and data manipulation skills using common frameworks like Spark/PySpark, Pandas, or similar
- Proficiency in a major programming language (e.g. Scala, Python, …)
- Experience with business requirements gathering for data sourcing
Nice to have
- Experience working in finance, fintech, or similar
- Experience working with cloud services (e.g. AWS, GCP, …) and/or Kubernetes
- Experience in building and contributing to data lakes in the cloud
- Designing and writing CI/CD pipelines
- Working with petabytes of data
We’re powered by people from around the world with their own unique and diverse experiences. We value all Krakenites and their talents, contributions, and perspectives, regardless of their background. We encourage you to apply for roles where you don’t fully meet the listed requirements, especially if you’re passionate or knowledgable about crypto!
As an equal opportunity employer we don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind. Whether that’s based on race, ethnicity, age, gender identity, citizenship, religion, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state or local laws.